If you’ve been around Beechcraft airplanes for any length of times you’ve probably heard of D’Shannon Aviation. Double M Aviation recently had the opportunity to install one of their Genesis Free Flow Exhaust systems on a Beechcraft A36 Bonanza. There was a rather long lead time on the exhaust since the owner had ordered them before production had even started, but once we received the call that parts were on their way, they arrived within the week.
Next step…bring the airplane in for an upgrade!
The install went smoothly. Instructions were clear and direct, and install was clean and straight forward. Surprisingly, even the paperwork portion of the install was relatively effortless. In my experience there’s no such thing as an easy field approval, but D’Shannon pulled it off. They took care of the providing me with all the documentation, including the signed 8110-3 we needed to approve the install.
With exhaust installed and the airplane paperwork legal, it was time for the true test of the exhaust system. D’Shannon lists the features of their exhaust system as:
- Equal length primary header tubes and proprietary merge collectors.
- Smooth radius bends.
- Elimination of welding and weld points to allow more efficient evacuation flow of exhaust gases, yielding more horsepower.
- Largest diameter tubes feasible.
- Collectors and tailpipes designed to scavenge exhaust pressure.
- Material chosen for maximum durability and ease of installation.
- Exterior ceramic coating to protect engine and compartment from additional heat transfer, causing the heat to accelerate through the pipes.
It was time to see if their fancy new design actually made any difference. The result? The owner loved it! He felt the time and money were certainly worth the investment into his aircraft.
Interested in upgrading your Bonanza or Baron? Or just looking to do routine maintenance and inspections? Double M Aviation always welcomes to opportunity to provide an estimate and discuss how we can provide quality aircraft maintenance with as little down time as possible. With the added bonus of being an ABS Repair Station, you can be confident that your aircraft will be serviced to the highest standards of care and maintenance.